I have been meaning to tryout Nigella Lawson’s recipe for breakfast for awhile now.
A simple recipe, that makes eating in the morning alot more possible.
And making your own food easy.
Something a little different from the usual french toast with sugar, condensed milk, maple syrup or honey.
And a great way to use up excess fruit in your fridge too!
Step by step video posted below, by the very woman herself.
NOTE: I have replaced cranberry juice with a mulberry compote and mulberry vinegar. Still sweet and tangy.
Morus fruit from Morus alba, the mulberry plant, is often called mulberry fruit.
Traditionally, mulberry fruit has been used as a medicinal agent to nourish the yin and blood, benefit the kidneys, and treat weakness, fatigue, anemia, and premature graying of hair. It is also used utilized to treat urinary incontinence, tinnitus, dizziness, and constipation in the elderly and the anemic.
The dominant taste of the ripe fruit is sweet but usually somewhat bland, due to the high water content and low level of other flavoring ingredients, but a richer flavor develops if the fruit is dried; it can then be used as a raisin substitute.
INGREDIENTS (Cinnamon Plum)
Cranberry Juice (Approximate, I used a combination of Mulberry Compote 3tbsp + 2 Tbsp Mulberry Vinegar + 1/2cup Water)
4 Plums, Halved
100g Sugar (I used Castor Sugar)
1 stick Cinnamon
- Pour juice into saucepan/pot, heat over fire.
- Add plum halves, cinnamon stick and sugar. (Cinnamon stick is used to prevent the liquid from turning murky instead of ground cinnamon)
- Give it a brief stir. (Stirring continously over heat will crystalise the syrup – Don’t)
- Bring it to a boil and simmer till the liquid is a little reduced.
- Set aside to cool a little
INGREDIENTS (French Toast)
2 Slices Bread (Nigella used old rustic bread)
1/2 Tbsp Ground Cinnamon
Milk (I used around 3tbsp)
Sugar (I used approx 1 tbsp Castor Sugar)
Butter (I used approx. 1 tbsp)
- Heat Saucepan.
- Mix everything together except bread.
- Soak bread in the egg mixture before pan frying it in butter.
- Add butter to melt, put bread to pan to fry.
- Serve hot with cooled plum compote.