I have recently started a regular intake of health supplements.
The objective is mainly to enhance or regulate bodily functions as a form of maintenance.
While as a consumer, I cannot claim the effectiveness of the oral intake specifically.
But I do emphasis on the quality, basically pay more for better quality products (if I have to) especially when it is something that goes into your body to be processed.
I have included below, the current supplements I am taking (Not for advertising of the brand but because I have included information mentioned on the product for reference. Point of origin.)
Also to share information for anyone who are interested in the particular type of supplement or on the topic itself :)
Since I am writing about the subject, I had done a quick google on the questions on Health supplements.
Starting from the Singapore Health Sciences Authority (HSA), to better understand the criteria of the product and guidelines I seek to understand as a health supplement consumer.
Some things you should know as a consumer of health supplements in Singapore:
You can read HSA’s article on Health Supplements HERE
- Unlike medicines which contain potent medicinal ingredients, health supplements are currently not subject to approvals, licensing or registration before being sold in the local market.
- Under the current system, dealers (who include manufacturers, importers, wholesalers/distributors, re-packers and retailers) are responsible for the safety and quality of their health supplements before these go into the local market.
- In line with the approach adopted in the regulatory systems of developed countries, HSA have in place a post-market surveillance programme to monitor the safety of health supplements.
- The first is a risk-based market surveillance programme to sample and test products found in the market. We also obtain feedback from consumers, the media and the industry as part of our intelligence gathering.
- The second component is our adverse reaction monitoring programme, which draws on our network of local healthcare professionals to pick up signals of any products that may be causing reactions. We also obtain information from our international network of national regulatory partners on serious side effects caused by certain products. This system of checks and controls has enabled us to initiate past recalls of harmful and inferior quality products.
- Gelatin capsule was preferred for its perceived effectiveness, easiness to swallow, and, to some degree, convenience. Although they are more expensive than standard, hard capsules
The right supplement delivery mode (extracted from wholefoodsmagazineonline.com)
- In order for a vitamin or dietary supplement to be effective, it must have high bioavailability, which is the proportion of a nutrient or bioactive ingredient that is absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract and made available for use and storage
- Gender, age, health factors and the dosage amount also affect bioavailability.
- Many high-quality tablets are protected by an enteric coating (5). This type of coating helps slow or delay the release of actives for maximum absorption. Softgels can be recommended for those who have trouble swallowing larger pills, as their gelatinous covering makes them softer and smoother.
Questions you need to ask before choosing your supplement:
- What information is contained in the label?
- How credible is the supplement brand or health company?
The label should tell you the names of the nutrients contained and the amount contained, the form of the ingredient used, and the number of tablets; basic information about the health company (address, contact information), recommended dosage, and manufacturing dates, among others.
The supplements should be tested and analyzed independently for its effectiveness, purity and potency. You will know all these information when you contact their customer service. If they are accessible and accommodating with your inquiries, you might have found yourself a good supplement brand.
EVENING PRIMROSE OIL
As stated on product: Contains Omega – 6 Essential fatty acid – Gamma linolelnic acid (GLA), which is the active ingredient in Evening Primrose Oil.
GLA is needed by the body to produce beneficial prostaglandins which assist in the balancing of the body’s hormonal system and relieve discomfort associated with premenstrual and menopausal symptoms.
It also helps maintain skin health by reducing the risk of moisture loss and provides relief for minor skin irritations, It is also essential to many bodily cellular functions.
WILD SALMON AND FISH OILS
As stated on product: Fish oils are a rich source of two essential omega 3 fatty acids, Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA) and Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA), not manufactured by the body. They help maintain cell membrane integrity, good cholesterol levels as well as healthy heart and circulation. They are also benefical in inflammatory conditions such as Joint Arithritis.
As stated on product: It provides Omega 3 Alpha Linolenic Acid and an ultra rich source of this essential nutrient. It also contains Omega 6 Linoleic Acid and Omega 9 Oleic Acid.
Beneficial for supporting healthy skin, hair and nails. Protecting heart health and maintaining Omega 3 levels thus avoiding fatty acid imbalance.
As stated on product: Garlic provides many essential nutrient that exhibit antimicrobial action. Garlic has been used traditionally to support the immune system and preventing colds and flu.
Promotes healthy cardiovascular system through its effect on lipid and cholesterol levels and anti oxidant action.