I had been thinking to go a little further with this exploration into eating healthier.
And what better way to motivate myself to go semi vegetarian/lacto vegetarian more often than to make one day a week by doing this?
Diet wise, I have always been more of a carnivore, I love my meats.
But since I have been trying to make small changes through making healthier choices gradually, why not take up the challenge to whip up meals with no meat?
You can have a quick google on the internet on why some people go meatless, or how Meatless Mondays can possibly involve you in playing a part in reducing your carbon footprint on the environmental aspect.
To me, let’s keep this simple. If by playing a small part in changing your diet (For yourself, health wise) and yet enable one to rethink their responsibility towards the self and environment in our own small way that just about justify why I can try going meatless for just once a week.
We read about incorporating more fruit, herbs and vegetables into our diet, and how the many ingredients available now – expand your palate! will aide us in our body fubctions and reducing the risk of disease. In Singapore for example, with the fast pace lifestyle of juggling work and personal commitments, it is sometimes easy to forget what we can do to improve our lifestyle.
Food is one of the important aspect of our daily routine. To sustain, regenerate energy yet also to replenish lost nutrients. In a way, this should be the one main reason and objective why we can change our own lifestyle habits through eating well.
Campaign or not.
So for Day 1 of going Meatless, here’s my recipe on preparing a quick meal using pasta.
Which is also one of my staples in my Carbs intake catergory. So easy!
INGREDIENTS (1 Pax Portion)
2 Small – Medium Portobello Mushroom, Sliced
Handful Cooked Sphagetti (You can using any type of pasta as you prefer)
3 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3 cloves Garlic, Minced
1/4 Lemon, Wedged
1 Teaspoon Grated Lemon Peel
2 Tablespoon Parsley, Chopped – Optional
Grated Cheese – Optional
Chilli Flakes – Optional
- Heat your saucepan over a low-medium heat
- Add in the Olive Oil
- When the oil begins to heat a little, add in the mince garlic
- Stir fry the mince until you get a whift of garlic aroma (Do not burn this!)
- Add in the mushrooms, and give it a little stir dry again
- When the mushrooms have softened a little, add in the parsley and mix the ingredients in the pan.
- Do not wilt the parsley, add in the pasta.
- Usually if the dish looks a little dry, I add in more Olive Oil!
- Give the Lemon wedge a good squeeze over the pasta and add in the lemon peel
- Give a quick stir and serve hot!
- Sprinkle the Parsley, Chilli Flakes and Grated Cheese over – Optional
P.S I omitted the Chilli Flakes, but mentioned it in this recipe because it seems a proper Aglio Oglio has that.