After much contemplation I decided to go ahead with a Hot Pink coloured Cake.
I wanted to make a purple fondant initially, but remembered I have done an Ombre toned birthday cake before.
For an all girls night out for an auspicious occassion, PINK should be fine right?
Like Girly girl girl, Funky and Fun.
Since the theme for the night was : “Black Bling Bling” says the bride.
She likes Glamour. And Attention.
So PINK it is!
And and.. Silver Dragees.
What do the auspicious (吉利) colours mean?
Reds (And Pink): Harmony
Metal colors: Creativity/children
Can’t remember where I found this on the internet.
I love making food for special occasions. It makes trying out creative ideas and practicing food making so much more meaningful. Adds a personal and fun element to a setting.
This was a idea I spun out less than 24hrs before the meetup. To make a cake.
For the cake, I used a chocolate cake pre-mix.
Because I like things hassle free at times.
What flavour you say?
An Orange Chocolate Cake with Vanilla flavoured Fresh whipped Butter in a Hot Pink Fondant Casing.
I love how the Orange Juice and Zest made a difference with the fragrance of the cake. So distinct in smell in the batter and taste from the cake trimmings.
I used an Instant Chocolate Mix for cake with added Van Houten’s Cocoa Powder for a more intense chocolaty taste.
You can replace a portion of your milk with the buttermilk you have just obtained..
Making butter from scratch was pretty fun.
I was tempted to stop and used the whipped cream (Before it turns to butter with continous whisking) to make Scones instead.
I love the taste of self whisked butter from Cream because it is a lot lighter, with a fresh crisp taste of ‘Buttercream’.
This might not be your usual Swiss Meringue Buttercream but it works on this small cake.
Although I did add abit of Vanilla Essence for flavour.
We will be eating it soon anyway.
(I’m thinking to make a mini Strawberry Shortcake with the leftover cream just for fun. We will see.)
Because I was running out of time, the design was kept as simple as possible.
I’m told it resembles a super girly Chanel bag.
A package of white fondant was in my fridge. A chance to play with Food Play-Doh?
Covering the cake with fondant had been interesting.
I used a ready made fondant in Snow White for easy colour customization.
- Adding colour to plain white fondant with gel food colour does require quite a dosage to get to this shade of pink.
- If it get’s too sticky, sprinkle corn starch/icing sugar to ease your rolling and manipulation of the fondant.
- If you are working in warmer, humid weather like me, the fondant is also more prone to ‘melting’ so cornstarch is a really handy ingredient on hand.
- Try not to pull the fondant at the top rounded edges of the cake, instead use your palms to press the fondant against the cake. Otherwise it will cause the fondant to tear.
- If you see the holes/cracks on the top edges of my fondant covered cake, that is proof that I pulled too hard.
- Basically, very gently pull and press, pull and press, repeat until you go round the cake.
Here’s is a video on how to fondant your cake.