Home style western soups are one of my favourites to make at home.
This recipe that I made the soup with, satisfied me with how light it was albeit the use of White Roux.
I have also omitted the use of cream and opted for a dollop of Yoghurt instead.
I like how Yoghurt adds a certain light yet refreshing tanginess, while adding a creamy dimension to the soup
I also chose to not stir the Yoghurt into the soup, but instead serve it on top. So two ways of eating Chicken Soup!
Original recipe derived from Restored Style.
Because I chose to roast a whole Chicken instead of just the Meat, that took me abit longer.
Roughly 2 Hours, letting the soup cook with the leftover bones from the roast.
Go on and omit the step if you like. And use Chicken Breasts as with the original recipe :)
Oh! I am just convinced now a good ol’ Roast Chicken only just needs a good rub of Dried Herbs, Salt and Ground Pepper (Lemons are a nice touch too if you have them!). So Good.
INGREDIENTS for Roast Chicken:
1 Whole Roast Chicken (Skinned, for a healthier choice, Optional)
1/2 Tablespoon Dried Thyme
1/2 Tablespoon Dried Oregano
1/2 Tablespoon Black Pepper
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- Preheat oven to 275 Degrees
- Dived the chicken into 3 parts – 2 Drums + Thighs and a whole Chicken Breast.
- I kept the neck and feet for baking also (Not to be eaten though).
- Mix the dried ingredients together and give a good rub onto the whole chicken
- Drizzle Olive oil over the chicken, give a rub again. Making sure there is a nice even thin coat on the skin.
- Pop into oven, and bake for about an hour.
- Depending on your own oven, determine the temperature to bake a whole chicken.
INGREDIENTS for Soup:
1 1/2 Litres Vegetable Stock
2 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1 Medium Onion, diced
4 Stalks Celery, diced
2 Pearl Garlic, sliced (You can use regular garlic, approx 3 cloves)
1/2 Tablespoon Thyme
1 Tablespoon Dried oregano
1 1/2 Tablespoon Paprika
100grams Tomato Paste
2 Heaped Tablespoons Butter
2 Heaped Tablespoons all-purpose flour
Greek Yoghurt to serve.
Salt and Black Pepper to taste.
- Half and hour into the baking of the chicken, start by heating your soup pan at medium heat.
- Add in olive oil, and lightly fry your Onions and Garlic.
- When the onions begin to turn transparent, add in your vegetables.
- Add in the dry ingredients and Saute for a few minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste, turn the heat to low and let the mixture cook for about 10 minutes.
- Stir occasionally to prevent burning.
- At about 20-30minutes into the whole procedure, add in the Vegetable stock and let it simmer on low heat.
- At this point, check on your chicken. If it is almost cooked through (Poke a fork through the Chicken Breast, if it goes through easy it is done!).
- Extract from the oven, and proceed to shred the meat from the bones – Chicken Drum and Thigh.
- Extract the Roast Chicken Juices and set aside for later use.
- Carefully remove the breast meat from the bone, and slice.
- Setting the bones aside, discard any very small bones (if any), and add the rest to the Soup.
- Boil for another 30 minutes or so.
- Next, heat a pan at low heat and melt the Butter.
- Add the flour and give a quick stir on medium heat.
- When it starts browning, (It should be of a runny consistency not lumpy).
- Pour in the Roast Chicken Juice and give a mix. remove from heat.
- Extract Bones from the soup pan, turn down the heat to low.
- Slowly add in the White Roux and stir as the soup simmers.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot with a sprinkle of Chicken Meat, a Dollop of Yoghurt and a dash of Black pepper.
P.S I also added some pasta spirals to bulk up the meal!